Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Update on my US visit...


Hello Friends,


So much has been happening since my arrival here in the U.S.,  and William has been just as busy in Kitere and Nairobi! I'll give a brief update from this side of the ocean and he will be doing a post with information about CML's first Sports Evangelism Event. 


Upon my arrival,  I was able to spend the first two weeks with my family and friends. How nice to have time to catch up on all that's been going on in their lives during this past year, and how sweet to hug my granddaughter once again!
We are having plenty of laughs, some happy tears and lots of good times!



My family is all doing well, and the most notable changes since last year are these:


My daughter & her husband are building a house..
My son has a serious (and very sweet) girlfriend...

And my Dad & step-mom put an amazing new shower in their house (love this thing!)...


While here, I am also speaking with various churches, organizations and groups. We are grateful for each and every "Ministry Partner",  and it is truly a blessing when I'm able to "show & tell" supporters what their prayers and financial contributions have helped us achieve. 




One of the groups I talked with last Wednesday was the youth group from my home church. This group of young people have given such encouragement and support throughout the years,  and I always enjoy sharing with them about what God has been doing in my life & ministry. We are also excited that they will be hosting a fundraiser for me before I return to Kenya! 


Monday I had a meeting with Joshua Propst, the new Director of the local Boys & Girls Club, and got some great ideas and information,  about beneficial programs, like the Youth Development Strategy Program, that CML could implement for students in Kenya.

Touring their spacious and multipurpose facility, I was also able to share with Josh about the vision CML has for building similar Resource Center(s) for the kids in the rural area of Kenya. My thanks to Joshua for his time, suggestions, prayers and offer of assistance.


With one month left on my trip, the next few weeks are filled with meetings, speaking engagements and fundraising activities.  I'm also taking a quick trip to Tupelo, MS to visit with my mission agency, Global Outreach International....whew!   



On a more somber note, the U.S. is currently experiencing one of the greatest financial crisis in its history. If you have seen the news, you know that the failure of several large financial institutions and banks have seriously shaken the American economy. Add to this, we are in the middle of a hotly contested Presidential election. The nation as a whole, is facing some tremendous challenges right now, and I realize that 2008 has been a "year of challenges" for the two countries closest to my heart. 



In closing, I ask for your continued prayers for both William and myself. As we juggle hectic schedules, multiple events and continue planning for our upcoming wedding (not to mention missing each other during this time) we need wisdom, strength and continued abiding in Christ for our emotional, spiritual and physical wellness. Thank you for your support and involvement in our lives and ministry!


Love, peace and blessings to all,
Denise


No comments: