Saturday, October 18, 2008

Kanyawanga Boys' mission- 11th October 2008

On Saturday the 11th October 2008, I went to a mission at Kanyawanga Boys' High School. I spoke about "Attitude, and how it affects one's personal success or failure in life". I reminded the boys that I was a in the same school over twenty years ago, and my attitude then has an impact on who I am today.

Reading Scripture portions from: Romans 12-1-2, Jeremiah 29:11, Proverbs 23:11a, Psalm 139:13-14 and quoting the saying: "Your attitude determines your altitude"- I encouraged the boys to be aware of the fact that their personal perceptions, mind-set, and way of thinking about God, themselves, their parents/family, present circumstances, their teachers, their School, their subjects and studies, the school rules/regulations, education in general, examinations, their country, success/failure and their future, will have a direct bearing on how far they go in life.

I encouraged the students to try and develop "positive attitude" in all things- an attitude that is in line with God's will, as taught in the Holy Scriptures.

I finally proposed to them my favourite radical definition of true success: " True success in life is determined by the extent to which a person accomplishes the purpose for which God created him/her, for His glory." In driving the point home, I once more used my favourite illustration about the ball pen that is used to stir tea- the tea will be just as good as if it were stirred using a spoon, but it will have failed to accomplish the purpose which was intended by the manufacturer.

I encouraged the students to seek the Lord's counsel as they chose their careers. If they develop a positive attitude towards God and His will for their lives, He will for sure lead them into true success: glorifying Him in the vocations He purposed for them before He created them. If He did this for the young Jeremiah (Jeremiah 1:4-5), He will for sure do the same for each of us.

Thereafter, we had a valuable time of Open Questions forum. The questions were very relevant and the responses, even from the students were of great insight. The CU Patron at the School- Mr. Ojwang Francis assisted me during the Open Question forum. He also encouraged the students and myself with a wonderful testimony of how his positive attitude has kept him inspired and passionate about his career and family, despite the varied challenges he has continually faced.

Here are some photos from the mission;

The students listening as their colleagues present a song....

Am giving the ball-pen illustration....


Sometimes I get very serious driving a point home....when that is appropriate....


Yet, in other times humor is most effective.... then my bright smile works....

One of the students presenting his question during the Open Question forum....

Mr. Ojwang Francis stressing a point...

It was a blessing to minister amongst the boys in my former school.

To God be all the Glory.

No comments: